Saturday, 20 July 2013
Trebartha Hall Cornwall
The origins of the original Trebartha hall appear to stretch back as far as 1300 as the Trabartha family house, but some accounts state the building date as 1500 and the Spoures family living there. This first hall was burnt down and rebuilt in 1720. It was then left to Francis Rodd Esq. of Herefordshire in 1730 by the last remaining female descendant of the Trebarthas. In the early 1800s plans were drawn up to update the house to a regency / neo-gothic style. The plans were never carried out but a fashionable hooded bay was added to the west front around this time with views down to the nearby weir.
This view shows the south main entrance front which overlooked extensive parkland. To the north of the hall, a cluster of service wings spread north, out of view, leading to the kitchen garden and conservatories. To the NE was a wooded plantation which visitors would travel through having entered via the Highpark Lodge entrance. The hall was demolished in 1948 following years of decline, having been used for a time as a hospital during WW2. Some of the buildings to the north of the main hall still survive today and are in domestic use.