This view shows the west front of Dunglass House which was the back of the house.
It was built on the site of the C14th Dunglass Castle, of which nothing remains. The architect was Richard Crichton who also built Abercairney Abbey and Rossie Castle (also demolished, later in 1960 and 1957). Built between 1807 and 1813, it still retained classical features at a time when the new Gothic style was becoming more fashionable. The full entrance front to the east was around 60 metres wide including the service wing to the north. The final bill for building costs was over £36,000, over two and a half million pounds today. Following a fire in 1947 which gutted the building, it was eventually demolished by 1959. The stables and Dunglass Collegiate Church still survive on the estate and a new Dunglass house is built over the old site.